Application for the 2024 Summer Cancer Research Institute is now open
Description of the Program
The Summer Cancer Research Institute is an 8-week intensive summer program supported by the National Cancer Institute U54 grants (CA221704 and CA221705; Contact PIs: Drs. Grace Ma and Joel Erblich) to Temple University/Fox Chase Cancer Center and Hunter College.
Undergraduate and Graduate students from Temple University and Hunter College interested in pursuing basic cancer research or population-based research are welcome to apply. We encourage applications from students of all backgrounds, particularly those from underrepresented minority groups or disadvantaged backgrounds.
Participants benefit from:
- Hands-on research
- Mentorship from established investigator
- Cancer seminars and skill-building workshops
- Written and oral science communication skills
- Research presentation experience
- Stipend of at least $3,000
Who is eligible to apply?
To apply to the Summer Cancer Research Institute students must be:
- Enrolled at either Temple University or Hunter College during the Spring semester,
- Be in good academic standing,
- Must be matriculating at HC or TU in Fall 2024
- Be at least eighteen (18) years of age,
- Pass a mandatory health and drug screening, and background check,
- Have relevant immunizations, including a two-step screening for PPD, and flu shot, and
- Commit to work full time for 8 consecutive weeks at Temple University or Fox Chase Cancer Center.
How do I apply?
Complete online application Here
Components of application:
- Short and long answer questions about yourself and your interests
- Resume or CV
- Unofficial transcripts
- Up to two letters of recommendation are strongly encouraged
- Letters from faculty, advisors, TAs, or individuals from work or volunteering positions are all acceptable
- It is recommended you reach out to these individuals well in advance to request a letter
Application is open from 11/1/2023-1/19/2024 at 5pm.
We highly encourage you to complete your application earlier. We will send emails to the recommenders you listed for them to upload recommendation letters after we receive your application.
For more information
We will be holding four information sessions on 10/19, 10/25, 11/7, and 11/16 to provide an overview of the program and guidance about the application process. Please see our poster attached and share the details about our upcoming information sessions to any undergraduate/graduate students currently enrolled at Temple University or Hunter College. Interested students can register to attend here
If you are interested in learning more about what we do:
- Instagram: @REC_U54
- Twitter: @REC_U54