Advanced Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgery Fellowship
Applications for this fellowship are processed through the Fellowship Council.
Mazen Hashisho, MD
The Division of Thoracic Surgical Oncology at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, is offering a one (or two)-year fellowship in general thoracic surgical oncology with a heavy emphasis on minimally invasive approaches. Our program emphasizes the multidisciplinary approach to modern cancer therapy in the setting of a leading freestanding cancer hospital. Applications for this fellowship are processed through the Fellowship Council.
The ideal candidate would be a dedicated, hard-working clinician with an additional interest in clinical research. An above-average surgical skill set is a prerequisite so that the successful candidate can achieve maturity and independence in the field of general thoracic surgery. Designed to provide fellows with intensive exposure to minimally invasive thoracic surgical procedures in the setting of a National Cancer Institute (NCI)-designated cancer center, the Advanced Minimally Invasive Thoracic Surgical Fellowship Program meets the needs of:
- General thoracic surgeons seeking to learn or to improve their minimally invasive surgical skills
- Practicing surgeons
- Surgeons who may have just completed a formal thoracic surgery fellowship program
- General surgery residents with an interest in thoracic surgery who would like to spend an additional year before starting their formal thoracic surgery fellowship training
- Cardiothoracic surgeons who wish to re-focus their practice on general thoracic surgery and thoracic surgical oncology
- International surgeons seeking clinical experience in a U.S. center of excellence (the candidate must be able to obtain a Pennsylvania medical license)
Our program emphasizes the multidisciplinary approach to modern cancer therapy in the setting of a leading freestanding cancer hospital.
Providing MIS Training Certification
As the regional leader in minimally invasive thoracic surgical techniques, we perform a full range of advanced minimally invasive thoracic surgical procedures including:
- VATS lobectomy
- VATS segmentecomy
- Minimally invasive esophagectomy
- Thymectomy (VATS, Robotic and Open)
- Endobronchial ultrasound (EBUS)
- Electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy (ENB)
- Opportunities to train with the interventional pulmonary service and the gastroenterology service
- Opportunity to gain exposure to the DaVinci surgical robot
We also perform complex thoracic surgical cases such as:
- Extensive experience performing lung resections after induction chemoradiation
- Resection of Superior Sulcus (Pancoast) tumors
- EPP and pleurectomy and decortication for malignant pleural mesothelioma
Candidates attend weekly multidisciplinary conferences for lung cancer and GI malignancies. Weekly didactic lectures in thoracic surgery and monthly M and M conferences are important educational features. A prospective database and complete biostatistics facility are available for clinical research. We have a dry lab that fellows can use to improve their minimally invasive surgical skills.
The successful applicant will participate in the full range of thoracic surgical oncology cases, learn the multidisciplinary management of thoracic cancer, and participate in clinical research, presentations and publications. Our fellowship can be individualized within this framework.
The Fellowship is offered to candidates who are board eligible in general surgery or a surgical sub-specialty. Prospective candidates from the United States must have successfully completed a residency in general surgery. Applicants from other countries must have passed the USMLE I, II, and III, FMGEMS, TOEFL or FLEX exams and be able to secure a Pennsylvania Medical License. Visit www.dos.state.pa.us/med.
Contact And Address
Please send inquiries to:
Stacey Su, MD
Director, Thoracic Surgery Fellowship
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19111