Fox Chase is home to some of the nation’s top hematologic cancer specialists and support staff – a multidisciplinary team of professionals who work together to diagnose and treat hematologic cancer. This team includes physicians and oncology-certified nurses with specialty experience in hematologic cancer, and meets regularly for tumor boards where patient cases and potential treatment options are reviewed.
Hematologic cancer patients at Fox Chase benefit from the center’s robust research program, with cutting-edge clinical trials offered in surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Fox Chase physicians and researchers are influential members of the National Cancer Institute’s NRG Oncology. Fox Chase offers a number of clinical trials and novel treatments that patients with hematologic cancer may not otherwise have access to elsewhere.
Conditions treated by hematologic cancer specialists at Fox Chase Cancer Center include, but are not limited to:
- Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML)
- Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia (CLL)
- Chronic Myelogenous Leukemia (CML)
- Acute Lymphocytic Leukemia (ALL)
- Hodgkin lymphoma (or Hodgkin's disease)
- Non-Hodgkin's lymphoma
Multiple Myeloma, Amyloidosis and Plasma Cell Disorders
- Myeloma ( plasma cell dyscrasia, plasma cell myeloma, myelomatosis and multiple myeloma)
- Plasma Cell Disorders (MGUS, Amyloidosis and Waldenström's macroglobulinemia)
- Extramedullary plasmacytoma
- Solitary myeloma
Our Treatment Approach
Fox Chase offers a wide range of treatment options for individuals with hematologic cancer, including a number of clinical trials not found at most hospitals. Our multidisciplinary care for hematologic cancer is provided through our clinical departments:
- Diagnostic Imaging – The diagnostic imaging team includes board-certified radiologists, nurses and technologists who expertly and compassionately guide patients through the entire imaging process.
- Hematology/Oncology – Medical oncologists at Fox Chase specialize in systemic therapies that are both currently available and also under investigation through clinical trials. In addition, we specialize in the treatment of lymphomas in people living with HIV. The Fox Chase – Temple university hospital bone marrow transplant program is a regional leader in bone marrow transplantation.
- Medicine – Fox Chase recognizes the importance of treating all the medical problems our patients face, in addition to cancer. Our department of medicine includes some of the best physicians in the country specializing in endocrinology, dermatology, gastroenterology, internal medicine, physical medicine, psychiatry, and pulmonary medicine.
- Pathology – The philosophy of the department of pathology is to provide high quality diagnostic service to foster the clinical and research missions of Fox Chase Cancer Center.
- Radiation Oncology – Radiation therapists and physicists use innovative methods to provide tailored radiation therapy.
In addition, there are additional aspects of our program to provide complete care for patients with hematologic cancer.
- Fox Chase – Temple University Hospital Bone Marrow Transplant Program
- Hematologic Cancer Nurse Navigators
- Survivor clinics
- Pain and Palliative Care Program
See a listing of all of our support services.