Fox Chase is home to some of the nation’s top sarcoma specialists and support staff – a multidisciplinary team of professionals who work together to diagnose and treat sarcoma. This team includes physicians and oncology-certified nurses with specialty experience in sarcoma, and meets regularly for tumor boards where patient cases and potential treatment options are reviewed.
Sarcoma patients at Fox Chase benefit from the center’s robust research program, with cutting-edge clinical trials offered in surgery, chemotherapy and radiation therapy. Fox Chase physicians and researchers are influential members of the National Cancer Institute’s NRG Oncology. Fox Chase offers a number of clinical trials and novel treatments that patients with sarcoma may not otherwise have access to elsewhere.
Sarcoma care at Fox Chase Cancer Center focuses on the multidisciplinary care of the following conditions:
- Alveolar soft part sarcoma
- Bone cancer sarcoma (Ewing’s, osteosarcoma and chondrosarcoma)
- Soft tissue sarcomas (lieomyosarcoma, liposarcoma, angiosarcoma, desmoid tumors)
- Gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST)
- Uterine sarcoma
Our Treatment Approach
Fox Chase offers a wide range of treatment options for individuals with sarcoma, including a number of clinical trials not found at most hospitals. Our multidisciplinary care for sarcoma is provided through our clinical departments:
- Clinical Genetics – The risk assessment program provides genetic testing, counseling and cancer-risk reduction services for individuals and their family members who are at risk for sarcoma.
- Diagnostic Imaging – The diagnostic imaging team includes board-certified radiologists, nurses and technologists who expertly and compassionately guide patients through the entire imaging process.
- Hematology/Oncology – Medical oncologists at Fox Chase specialize in systemic therapies that are both currently available and also under investigation through clinical trials.
- Medicine – Fox Chase recognizes the importance of treating all the medical problems our patients face, in addition to cancer. Our department of medicine includes some of the best physicians in the country specializing in endocrinology, dermatology, gastroenterology, internal medicine, physical medicine, psychiatry, and pulmonary medicine.
- Pathology – The philosophy of the department of pathology is to provide high quality diagnostic service to foster the clinical and research missions of Fox Chase Cancer Center.
- Radiation Oncology – Radiation therapists and physicists use innovative methods to provide tailored radiation therapy.
- Surgical Oncology – Our orthopedic oncology surgeons are highly skilled in the latest surgical approaches for the treatment of sarcoma.
In addition, there are additional aspects of our program to provide complete care for patients with sarcoma.
- Oncology-certified nurse navigators
- Survivor clinics
- Pain and palliative care program
See a listing of all of our support services.