A Team Dedicated to Your Individual Care
When you come to Fox Chase for radiation treatment, your multidisciplinary team includes the following:
- The radiation oncologist specializes in treating cancer with appropriate radiation therapies, leads the team and will manage your treatment.
- The medical radiation physicist supervises or performs the safe and effective delivery of radiation to achieve the therapeutic result as prescribed in a patient’s care.
- The medical dosimetrist knows the overall characteristics and clinical relevance of radiation oncology treatment machines, equipment, and techniques and collaborates with your medical physicist and radiation oncologist to plan the radiation dose distributions and perform the dose calculations.
- Radiation therapy technologists perform daily treatments and help to monitor your progress over the course of treatment.
- Oncology nurses monitor your physical conditions and provide care during your radiation treatments.
- Social workers and other support staff round out the team to make sure your medical and personal needs are met during and after treatment.
Together, this team of specialists carefully plans and carries out your radiation treatment and offers support you need throughout the entire process. Also, Fox Chase’s in-house team of cardiologists, pulmonologists and internists will work with your oncologist to manage any pre-existing or new medical conditions that may arise during the course of treatment. Our Pain & Palliative Care team will help alleviate any pain associated with your cancer or your treatment and provide additional support in the areas of wellness, psychosocial counseling, and treatment planning before, during, and after your cancer treatment.
A Commitment to Preserving Quality of Life
In the department of radiation oncology, our goal is to develop and implement treatment programs geared towards maximizing the chances of curing cancer while minimizing the radiation dose to normal organs. We aim to maintain your quality of life and preserve your normal organ function. Our radiation oncologists maintain strong academic, clinical and research interests, and a commitment to your overall wellbeing.
American College of Radiology Accreditation
The Department of Radiation Oncology main campus, Buckingham and the King of Prussia facility have all received accreditation from the American College of Radiology (ACR). This is a testament to our ongoing commitment to assure that we meet the highest national quality standards and provide the best care for our patients.
Preparing for Radiation Therapy
Our radiation oncologists will carefully review your unique clinical situation and decide the specific number of treatments you receive base don your type of cancer, its location, and your overall treatment plan.