- Who is eligible for the program?
Students entering their senior year of BSN program, who have completed at least one semester of medical-surgical nursing, are eligible to apply for the Extern Program.
- When do you apply?
We will be accepting applications January 9, 2023 to February 17, 2023.
- How do you apply?
Please submut the following attachments online for the Registered Nurse Externship position online:
- Professional resume
- 2 Letters of Reference.
- Recent medical-surgical instructor REQUIRED.
- Additional clinical instructor, employer reference, or professional affiliate (this reference may be narrative or use the same form.)
- Copy of our transcript, including your most recent grades
- Do you have pediatrics?
No, Fox Chase Cancer Center is an all-adult oncology population.
- When does the program start?
This program starts on June 5, 2023.
- How long is it?
The program length is 8 weeks.
- What will my schedule be like?
You will follow your preceptor’s schedule, which may include 8 or 12-hour shifts, weekends and some rotation. The focus for externs is predominantly day shift but rotation exposes the student to all aspects of patient care. You are expected to work 36 hours/week
- What specialty areas are available?
Observation days are available in the Operating Room, PACU (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit), Endoscopy, Interventional Radiology, Radiation Therapy, Infusion Room, and Intensive Care.
- What is the salary?
This will be a paid position. We believe the clinical skills you will acquire working side by side with an experienced oncology nurse will enhance your career. We are giving you a chance to experience the clinical setting without the stress of school.
- What educational opportunities are available?
Externs have a weekly conference on oncology topics presented by a Fox Chase Cancer Center expert. These interactive learning experiences provide an opportunity for the student to integrate recent clinical experiences and the knowledge of an oncology expert.
- May I continue working during the school year?
If there are open positions and your nurse manager approves, you may apply for a CNA position.
- Who is the contact person if I have questions about applying for the program?
Jennifer McKinstry, MSN, RN-BC