Nurse Extern Program FAQs
- Who is eligible for the program?
Students entering their senior year of BSN program, who have completed at least one semester of medical-surgical nursing, are eligible to apply for the Extern Program.
- When do you apply?
We are now accepting applications for the 2016 cohort.
- How do you apply?
The following components must be completed and mailed in one envelope to John Lavery, Nurse Recruiter (see 13, below):
- Professional resume
- 2 Letters of Reference FormThis reference must be on the form[PDF]
- Recent medical-surgical instructor REQUIRED.
- Additional clinical instructor, employer reference, or professional affiliate (this reference may be narrative or use the same form.)
- Copy of our transcript, including your most recent grades
- Do you have pediatrics?
No, Fox Chase Cancer Center is an all adult oncology population.
- When does the program start?
It will begin June 2016
- How long is it?
The program length is 8 weeks.
- What will my schedule be like?
You will follow your preceptor’s schedule, which may include 8 or 12-hour shifts, weekends and some rotation. The focus for externs is predominantly day shift but rotation exposes the student to all aspects of patient care. You are expected to work 36 hours/week
- What specialty areas are available?
Observation days are available in the Operating Room, PACU (Post-Anesthesia Care Unit), Endoscopy, Interventional Radiology, Radiation Therapy, Infusion Room, and Intensive Care.
- Will I become certified in chemotherapy?
You will become certified in chemotherapy if it is needed for your unit. This determination will be made during the program.
- What is the salary?
This will be a paid position. We believe the clinical skills you will acquire working side by side with an experienced oncology nurse will enhance your career. We are giving you a chance to experience the clinical setting without the stress of school.
- What educational opportunities are available?
Externs have a weekly conference on oncology topics presented by a Fox Chase Cancer Center expert. These interactive learning experiences provide an opportunity for the student to integrate recent clinical experiences and the knowledge of an oncology expert.
- May I continue working during the school year?
If there are open positions and your nurse manager approves, you may apply for a CNA position.
- Who is the contact person if I have questions about applying for the program?
Nursing Career Specialist
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111