Breast Cancer Diagnosis
Accurate diagnosis is essential to choosing the best treatment for your type and stage of breast cancer. If cancer is suspected in the breast tissue, our doctors will gather your medical and family history and conduct a physical examination.
Initial diagnostic tests may include:
- Breast magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- Biopsy: May be guided by touch, imaging (mammography, MRI or ultrasound) or surgically
To determine how far breast cancer has spread, your doctor may recommend one or more of the following tests:
- Chest X-ray
- Blood tests
- Bone scan
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Positron emission tomography (PET) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
Fox Chase Cancer Center radiologists and pathologists specializing in breast cancer review all available diagnostic tests in order to make an informed diagnosis.