To ensure the accuracy of our patient satisfaction scores, we require that providers who see patients receive
a minimum number of completed patient-submitted surveys before their reviews are listed on their profiles.
Star ratings on this site are collected on a rolling basis from the previous 12 months.
Additionally, some of the physicians listed on our site do not see patients directly, and therefore, do not receive
evaluation and ratings from patients.
2022- ASCO Young Investigator award for YIA proposal “Targeting Small Cell Lung Cancer Plasticity to Overcome Chemo-Immunotherapy Resistance”.
My approach to treatment embodies a philosophy centered around providing every patient and their unique battle against cancer with unwavering care, intensity, and attention. While the nature of care may vary based on individual needs, the dedication to delivering care remains consistently patient-centric.
Furthermore, I believe in thorough collaboration, engaging with diverse experts to dissect all facets of the patient's cancer diagnosis. This multidisciplinary approach ensures that a comprehensive array of management options is meticulously explored and thoughtfully presented to the patients. This empowers them to make informed decisions regarding their treatment path.
07/2016-06/2019: Residency training, Department of Internal Medicine, UT Health San Antonio, San Antonio,Texas.
05/2011-05/2014: Anatomical & Clinical Pathology residency training, Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi, Delhi, India.
03/2008-03/2009: Rotating Clinical medicine Internship, New Civil Hospital, Govt. Medical College, Surat,India.
09/2003-03/2008: Government Medical College, Surat, India
06/2019: ABIM (American Board of Internal Medicine) certified
06/2015: ECFMG (Education Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) certified.
05/2014: M.D (Doctorate in Medicine) Pathology, University of Delhi, India.
03/2009: MBBS (Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery), Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, Surat,India.
Honors & Awards
2021- NCI Director’s award for pioneering patient-driven research discovering tractable therapeutic vulnerabilities of small cell lung cancer genomic subgroups (part of SCLC Clinical reseach team).
2018- “PGY-2 Resident of the year” & “Most Compassionate PGY-2 Resident” awards at UT HealthSan Antonio Internal Medicine Residency Program, USA.
2017- 1st prize Medical Jeopardy at South Texas ACP meeting, Austin, USA.
2017- “Intern of the year”, “Most Compassionate Intern” & “Best teaching Intern” awards at UT Health San Antonio Internal Medicine Residency Program, USA.
2014- 2nd Prize Quiz held in IAPM-Delhi Chapter, AIIMS, India.
2012- “Best Poster Award” Cytocon, Bhubaneswar, India.
2008- Table tennis champion in Doubles event in Intercollege Sports Week Competition, Surat, India.
2007- 1st prize in Quiz- Perinatology forum for World Breastfeeding week, Surat, India.
2005- 1st position in Veer Narmad South Gujarat University, 2nd year MBBS, India.
1. Desai P, Aggarwal A. Breast Cancer in Women Over 65 years- a Review of Screening and Treatment Options. Clin Geriatr Med. 2021 Nov;37(4):611-623.
2. Thomas A, Desai P, Takahashi N. Translational research: A patient-centered approach to bridge the valley of death. Cancer Cell. 2022 May 6:S1535-6108.
3. Lissa D, Takahashi N, Desai P, Manukyan I, Schultz C, Rajapakse V, Velez M, Mulford D, Roper N, Nichols S, Vilimas R, Sciuto L, Chen Y, Guha U, Rajan A, Atkinson D, El Meskini R, Ohler ZW, Thomas A. Heterogeneity of Neuroendocrine Transcriptional States in Metastatic Small Cell Lung Cancer Tumors and Patient-Derived Models. Nature Comm. 2022 Mar 16 (in press).
4. Ethiraj P, Binu S, Holder K, Lin A, Qiu Z, Jaafar C, Elkhalili A, Desai P, Saksena A, Ritter J, Aguiar R. Cyclic- AMP signaling, MYC and HIF1α intersect to regulate angiogenesis in B-cell lymphoma. BJH. 2022 Mar 30 (in press).
5. Tlemsani C, Takahashi N, Pongor L, Rajapakse VN, Tyagi M, Wen X, Fasaye GA, Schmidt KT, Desai P, Kim C, Rajan A, Swift S, Sciuto L, Vilimas R, Webb S, Nichols S, Figg WD, Pommier Y, Calzone K, Steinberg SM, Wei JS, Guha U, Turner CE, Khan J, Thomas A. Whole-exome sequencing reveals germline-mutated small cell lung cancer subtype with favorable response to DNA repair-targeted therapies. Sci Transl Med. 2021 Oct 13;13(615).
6. Thomas A, Takahashi N, Rajapakse VN, Zhang X, Sun Y, Ceribelli M, Wilson KM, Zhang Y, Beck E, Sciuto L, Nichols S, Elenbaas B, Puc J, Dahmen H, Zimmermann A, Varonin J, Schultz CW, Kim S, Shimellis H, Desai P, Klumpp-Thomas C, Chen L, Travers J, McKnight C, Michael S, Itkin Z, Lee S, Yuno A, Lee MJ, Redon CE, Kindrick JD, Peer CJ, Wei JS, Aladjem MI, Figg WD, Steinberg SM, Trepel JB, Zenke FT,
Pommier Y, Khan J, Thomas CJ. Therapeutic targeting of ATR yields durable regressions in small cell lung cancers with high replication stress. Cancer Cell. 2021 Apr 12;39(4):566-579.e7.
7. Srour SA, Olson A, Ciurea SO, Desai P, Bashir Q, Oran B, Bose P, Mehta R, Patel KP, Pemmaraju N, Daver N, Verstovsek S, Champlin RE, Popat UR. Mixed myeloid chimerism and relapse of myelofibrosis after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Haematologica. 2021 Jul 1;106(7):1988-1990.
8. Quesada AE, Medeiros LJ, Desai PA, Lin P, Westin JR, Hawsawi HM, Wei P, Tang G, Seegmiller AC, Reddy NM, Yin CC, Wang W, Xu J, Miranda RN, Zuo Z, Li S. Increased MYC copy number is an independent Prognostic factor in patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Mod Pathol. 2017 Dec;30(12):1688-1697.
9. Thakral B, Medeiros LJ, Desai PA, Lin P, Yin CC, Tang G, Khoury JD, Hu S, Xu J,Loghavi S, Hu B, Oki Y, Li S. Prognostic impact of CD5 expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma in patients treated with rituximab- EPOCH.Eur J Haematol.2017 Apr;98(4):415-421.
10. Wang XJ, L Jeffrey Medeiros, Bueso-Ramos CE, Tang G, Wang S, Oki Y, Desai P, Khoury JD, Miranda RN, Tang Z, Reddy N, LiS. P53 expression correlates with poorer survival and augments the negative prognostic effect of MYC rearrangement, expression or concurrent MYC/BCL2 expression in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma.Mod Pathol. 2017 Feb;30(2):194-203.
11. Xu J, Oki Y, Saksena A, Desai P, Lin P, Tang G, Yin CC, You MJ, Thakral B, Medeiros LJ, Li S. CD30 expressionand prognostic significance in R-EPOCH-treated patients with diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Hum Pathol. 2017 Feb; 60:160-166.
12. Anil DP, Sudhir DP, Saksena A, Khurana N. An Affordable, Indigenous Polarizer-Analyzer System with In-built Retardation Plate Function to Detect Birefringence using 3D Glasses: An Experience. J Clin Diagn Res. 2016 Jan;10(1):EC12-4.
13. Li S, Saksena A, Desai P , Xu J, Zuo Z, Lin P, Tang G, Yin CC, Seegmiller A, Jorgensen JL, Miranda RN, Reddy NM, Bueso-Ramos C, Medeiros LJ. Prognostic impact of history of follicular lymphoma, induction regimen and stem cell transplant in patients with MYC/BCL2 double hit lymphoma. Oncotarget. 2016 Jun 21;7(25):38122-38132.
14. Saksena A, Gautam P, Desai P, Gupta N, Dubey AP, Singh T. Side scatter versus CD45 flow cytometric plot can distinguish acute leukemia subtypes. Indian J Med Res. 2016 May;143(Supplement):S17-S22.
15. Mulanovich VE, Desai PA, Popat UR. Allogeneic stem cell transplantation for HIV-positive patients with hematologic malignancies. AIDS. 2016 Nov 13;30(17):2653-2657.
16. Li S, Desai P, Lin P, Yin CC, Tang G, Wang XJ, Konoplev SN, Khoury JD, Bueso-Ramos CE, Medeiros LJ. MYC/BCL6 double-hit lymphoma (DHL): a tumour associated with an aggressive clinical course and poor prognosis. Histopathology. 2016 Jun;68(7):1090-8.
17. Mahajan N, Saksena A, Desai PA, Kaushal S, Jain S, Patel R. Carcinoma breast masquerading as extramedullary plasmacytoma breast: An unusual case report with review of literature. Cancer treatment communications.2016;8:5-7.
18. Li S, Weiss VL, Wang XJ, Desai PA, Hu S, Yin CC, Tang G, Reddy NM, Medeiros LJ, Lin P. High-grade B-cell Lymphoma With MYC Rearrangement and Without BCL2 and BCL6 Rearrangements Is Associated With High P53 Expression and a Poor Prognosis. Am J Surg Pathol. 2016 Feb;40(2):253-61.
19. Desai PA, Patel RK, Khurana N, Pandey PN. Intracranial Fungal Granulomas Mimicking High Grade Gliomas. A Decisive Role of Squash Cytology (SC): A Report of Two Cases. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015.Jan; 9(1): OD06-7.
20. Dey B, Bharti JN, Dange, P, Desai PA, Khurana N, Chander, J. Paratesticular Spindle Cell Rhabdomyosarcoma.
Rare Tumors 2015,Sep;7(2):5823.
21. Jain S, Desai P, Goel G, Singh N, Kaushal S. Urinary filariasis masquerading as the bladder tumor: A case report with cyto- histological correlation. J Cytol. 2015 Apr-Jun;32(2):124-6.
22. Desai PA, Dholariya S, Gupta S, Singh T. Plasma cell leukemia of IgG secreting type: A rare case.
International Journal of Case Reports and Images (IJCRI).2014, Feb;4(12):748-749.
23. Bharti J N, Dey B, Desai P, Gupta R, Khurana N, Gandhi G. Primary Leiomyosarcoma of peritoneal cavity. Rare tumors.2014, Mar; 6(1):5165.
24. Bharti JN, Dey B, Gautam P, Desai P, Kamal V. Trichofolliculoma presenting as lobulated mass: a rare presentation. Int J Trichology. 2014 Jan;6(1):19-20.
25. Dange P, Desai PA, Gupta R., Singh T. Bilirubin crystallization in neutrophils in cases of neonatal unconjugated hyperbilirubinemias. Journal of Applied Hematology. 2014, Jul; 5(3):117.
The following ratings and reviews are based on verified feedback collected from independently administered
patient experience surveys. The ratings and comments submitted by patients reflect their own views and opinions.
Patient identities are withheld to ensure confidentiality and privacy.
Learn more about our Patient Experience Ratings.