John Ridge, the chief of head and neck surgery at Fox Chase, focuses on providing head and neck cancer patients with a high quality of life through radiation treatment and sometimes through chemotherapy, instead of surgery alone.
Cancers of the head and neck are difficult to treat because they are some of the rarest tumors in the United States, and many doctors have little to no experience treating such cancers.
But, at Fox Chase Cancer Center in Philadelphia, our clinicians regularly see patients with all sorts of head and neck tumors, including the hard-to-treat and advanced cancers. In recognition of our highly experience sub-specialists who treat every type and stage of head and neck cancers and disorders, Fox Chase has been named a Blue Distinction Center for Complex and Rare Cancers by the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association and Independence Blue Cross.
When facing head and neck cancer, where you go for care - and how quickly you are seen - can make a big difference. Our head and neck team work collaboratively with each other and our patients to offer personalized treatment that affords the best chance of controlling your cancer, preserving head and neck function, and reducing the risk of recurrance.
In addition to offering the most advanced therapies, surgical techniques and treatment regimens, our culture of integrated support services enables us to support and improve the quality of life for patients experiencing physical, emotional or psychosocial changes associated with their cancer treatment. Our goal is not only to cure cancer, but to provide each patient with the best possible quality of life as they live beyond cancer.
Why choose Fox Chase?
- Highest designation from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) as a Comprehensive Cancer Center, an elite center recognized for excellence in cancer treatment, research, prevention and education
- A Blue Distinction Center SM designation for head and neck cancer treatment
- U.S. News & World Report lists Fox Chase Cancer Center among the best in the nation in oncology and ear, nose and throat
- Multidisciplinary team of physician leaders in the head and neck cancer field
- Full spectrum of care for head and neck cancer—from detection through survivorship
- Significant experience with open, endoscopic, laparoscopic, and robotic surgery
- Access to clinical trials for emerging and innovative therapies for head and neck cancer
- Next business-day appointments with our head and neck cancer specialists