Due to a system-wide technology update, we are experiencing extremely high call volume. We appreciate your patience with our operators during this time. Thank you for choosing Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Liver Cancer Diagnosis
Liver cancer diagnosis and treatment involves accurate assessment of both the cancer and the liver condition (cirrhosis) at the same time. If the liver is in poor condition and the liver cancer is in early stage, then liver transplant may be needed. If the liver is in good condition, other options may be available.
Initial diagnostic tests for assessing the liver and liver cancer include:
- Medical history
- Physical examination
- Computed tomography (CT) scan
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan
- Blood tests to assess the liver condition
- Liver cancer tumor markers such as alpha-fetoprotein (AFP)
- Guided liver biopsy (in certain conditions)
Fox Chase Cancer Center radiologists and pathologists specializing in liver cancer review all available diagnostic tests in order to make an informed diagnosis.