Due to a system-wide technology update, we are experiencing extremely high call volume. We appreciate your patience with our operators during this time. Thank you for choosing Fox Chase Cancer Center.
Things to Think About
All treatments may have both benefits or risks.
You may feel curious when contemplating participation in a clinical trial. Here are some things to think about before you decide to take part.
Possible Benefits of a Clinical Trial
- You may get a new treatment that is not yet open to people outside of the study.
- The research team will watch you closely.
- If the treatment being studied is better than the standard treatment, you may be first to benefit.
- The trial may help scientists learn more about cancer and help people in the future.
Possible Risks of a Clinical Trial
- The new treatment may not be better than, or even as good as, the standard treatment.
- New treatments may have side effects that your doctors do not expect.
- You may have to make more visits to the doctor than if you were getting standard treatment.
- There may be extra costs for these additional visits, such as travel or child care.
- You may need more tests, and some could be uncomfortable or take a lot of time.
- Even if a new treatment works in some patients, it may not work for you.
- Insurance may not cover all patient care costs.