Cancer of the appendix, also known as appendiceal cancer, is often discovered when investigating or treating other conditions. Because cancer of the appendix is very rare, it is natural for patients to have many questions after receiving a diagnosis. At Fox Chase Cancer Center, we have provided a comprehensive approach to cancer diagnosis and treatment for more than 100 years. Fox Chase is one of the few cancer centers in the nation with such a high level of specialization in treating rare diseases like appendix cancer.
We draw upon the nationally renowned experience of our multidisciplinary medical team as we tailor a treatment plan that is unique to you. The oncology team regularly conducts in-depth reviews of new or challenging cases to reach consensus on treatment options and strategies. Through this coordinated approach, we strive to provide the most thorough and personalized care to each patient (as well as access to innovative therapies and clinical trials).
Your dedicated team includes not only physicians, surgeons, researchers, and nurses, but also nurse navigators, social workers, and other specialized staff to provide emotional support and coping strategies.
Why Choose Fox Chase for Appendix Cancer Treatment?
- We provide a full spectrum of care for appendix cancer—from detection through survivorship. Our multidisciplinary team is dedicated to providing exceptional care to both you and your family, including state-of-the-art diagnostics and treatment, vigilant follow-up and survivorship care, referrals to community resources and support, and much more.
- Founded in 1904 as one of the nation’s first cancer hospitals, Fox Chase was among the first institutions to be designated as a National Cancer Institute Comprehensive Cancer Center in 1974. This is the NCI’s highest designation, recognizing Fox Chase as an elite center for excellence in cancer treatment, research, prevention, and education.
- Fox Chase researchers conduct numerous clinical trials for the development of new treatments, offering access to emerging and innovative therapies that may not be available elsewhere. The results of studies conducted at Fox Chase have been crucial in advancing our understanding of cancer diagnosis and treatment around the world.
- Since 2000, the Fox Chase nursing department has held a Magnet® designation from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC). The Magnet Recognition Program is regarded as the nation’s highest standard for excellence in nursing, with less than 10 percent of hospitals nationwide attaining this designation.
- Fox Chase physicians and investigators have received numerous awards and honors, including Nobel Prizes in medicine and chemistry.
“Our job as oncologists is to make sure we clearly explain appendix cancer diagnoses to our patients and provide them with a tailored treatment plan. We take pride in empowering our patients to move forward in their journey.”
— Dr. Namrata (Neena) Vijayvergia, MD, Medical Oncologist