All treatments may have both benefits or risks.
You may feel curious when contemplating participation in a clinical trial. Here are some things to think about before you decide to take part.
Possible Benefits of a Clinical Trial
- You may get a new treatment that is not yet open to people outside of the study.
- The research team will watch you closely.
- If the treatment being studied is better than the standard treatment, you may be first to benefit.
- The trial may help scientists learn more about cancer and help people in the future.
Possible Risks of a Clinical Trial
- The new treatment may not be better than, or even as good as, the standard treatment.
- New treatments may have side effects that your doctors do not expect.
- You may have to make more visits to the doctor than if you were getting standard treatment.
- There may be extra costs for these additional visits, such as travel or child care.
- You may need more tests, and some could be uncomfortable or take a lot of time.
- Even if a new treatment works in some patients, it may not work for you.
- Insurance may not cover all patient care costs.