Stephen J. Heller, MD
- Request Appointment
- Clinical Locations
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Patient Stories
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Attending Physician, Gastroenterology
Clinical Director, Barrett's Esophagus Program
At Fox Chase we also perform a specialized procedure called double balloon enteroscopy or DBE, which enables us to examine areas deep within the small bowel which are not accessible to standard endoscopes. In doing so, we can treat areas of bleeding that would otherwise require frequent blood transfusions or even surgery, and diagnose tumors of the small bowel at an early, curable stage.
Although technology is a vital part of what I do, there is nothing more important in the practice of medicine than the human interaction between health care provider and patient. At Fox Chase we strive to do the best we can for our patients every day. Collapse
- Fellow, Advanced Therapeutic Endoscopy, Wellesley Hospital, University of Toronto, Toronto, ON, Canada, 1997-1998
- Fellow, Gastroenterology, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1994-1997
- Stanford University Hospital, Stanford, CA, 1991-1993
- MD, Columbia University, 1990
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Gastroenterology
- American College of Gastroenterology
- American Gastroenterological Association
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
Honors & Awards
- Philadelphia Magazine Top Docs, 2015, 2016
- Lahey Clinic - Gastroenterology Teacher of the Year Award, 2000, 2008
Irene Cohen is a fighter who's beaten cancer two times and firmly believes that quick action and a trusted medical team has been her saving grace. In 2016, Irene marks one year since surgery and she continues to be grateful to Dr. Reddy.
Heller SJ, Jacobs MB: A clinical review of Parkinson's disease. Hospital Physician 1994;30:30-4.
Heller SJ, Ferrari AP, Lichtenstein DR, Carr-Locke DL, Van Dam J, Banks PA: Stricture of the Main Pancreatic Duct and Islet Cell Tumors. Am J Gastroenterol 1996;91:147-9. PubMed
Chan AT, Heller SJ, Van Dam J, Carr-Locke DL, Banks PA: Endoscopic Cystgastrostomy: Role of Endoscopic Ultrasonography. Am J Gastroenterol 1996;91:1622-5. PubMed
Heller SJ, Van Dam J.: Endoscopic treatment of bile duct calculi in patients with gallbladder in situ: long-term outcome and factors predictive of recurrent symptoms. Endoscopy Around the World. Gastrointest Endosc 1996;44:640-1. PubMed
Heller SJ, Van Dam J.: Eradication of high grade dysplasia using 5-ALA and acid suppression: A (photo) dynamic duo. Selected Summary. Gastroenterology 1997;112:2156-8. PubMed
Heller SJ, Noordhoek E, Tenner SM, Ramagopal V, Abramowitz M, Hughes M, Banks PA.: Pleural effusion as a predictor of severity in acute pancreatitis. Pancreas 1997;15:222-5. PubMed
Eisen GM, Kim CY, Fleischer DE, Kozarek RA, Carr-Locke DL, Li TCM, Gostout CJ, Heller, SJ, Montgomery EA, Al-Kawas FH, Lewis HJ, Benjamin SB: High-resolution chromoendoscopy for classifying colonic polyps: a multicenter study. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 2002;55:687-694. PubMed
Barto A, Heller S. Microscopic colitis. Postgraduate Medicine 2002;112:69-75.