Stefan K. Barta, MD, MS, MRCP (UK)
- Request Appointment
- Clinical Locations
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Research Profile
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Aggressive and indolent lymphoma
Bone Marrow Transplantation
Acute lymphoblastic leukemia
American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Young Investigator Award
12th Annual ECOG-ACRIN Young Investigator Symposium Award of Distinction for Clinical Research
Language(s) Other than English
A famous quote by June Goldfield captures my view of oncology like no other: “Cancer begins and ends with people”. I joined Fox Chase because its track record as the oldest dedicated cancer hospital in the United States, unique infrastructure and outstanding expertise of our team of physician-scientists allows me to offer patients the best available care when they have been diagnosed with cancers of the blood.
I consider it my privilege to guide patients through oftentimes-difficult treatment and to accompany them and their families during their illness. Once patients have been diagnosed with cancer, this diagnosis usually takes over every aspect of life. Cancer is a very personal matter. I believe it is important not only to treat the cancer, but also the person as a whole. I see it as my responsibility as a physician to be there for my patients whenever they encounter any type of problem while they are fighting this disease.
- Fellow, Hematology and Oncology Fellowship at the Albert-Einstein College of Medicine/Montefiore Medical Center, Bronx, NY, 2007 - 2010
- Fellow, HIV (ID subspecialty) Fellowship at St. Bartholomew’s & Royal London Hospital, London, UK, 2003 - 2004
- Assistant Chief Resident, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York, 2006
- Resident, Internal Medicine, St. Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital Center, New York, 2004 - 2007
- Resident, Internal Medicine, St. Bartholomew’s & Royal London Hospital School of Medicine & Whittington Hospital, London, UK, 2001 - 2003
- Master of Science (MS) in Clinical Research Methods, Albert-Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University, New York, 2011
- MD, Johann-Wolfgang Goethe University, Frankfurt, Germany, 1999
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians (UK) (M.R.C.P.)
- Board Certification American Board of Internal Medicine
- Board Certification in Hematology
- Board Certification in Oncology
- American Medical Association 2004-2010
- American Society of Hematology 2007-present
- American Society of Clinical Oncology 2008-present
- AIDS Malignancy Consortium, Lymphoma Working Group 2012-present
- American Society for Bone Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT) 2014-present
Honors & Awards
- Outstanding Senior Resident, St Luke’s Roosevelt Hospital, New York, NY 2007
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Young Investigator Aware 2010
- 12th Annual ECOG-ACRIN Young Investigator Symposium Award of Distinction for Clinical Research 2012
HIV-related lymphoma; T-cell lymphoma; Cutaneous lymphomas
The Fox Chase Cancer Center and Temple University have become an affiliate site for the AIDS Malignancy Consortium. Through this mechanism we are able to offer access to clinical cancer trials for people living with HIV who are diagnosed with cancer.
Barta SK. To be or not to be HIV+, that is no longer the question. Blood 2015;126(2):124-126
Barta SK, Samuel MS, Xue X, Wang D, Lee YL, Mounier N, Ribera JM, Spina M,Tirelli U, Weiss R, Galicier L, Boue F, Little RF, Dunleavy K, Wilson WH, Wyen C, Remick SC, Kaplan LD, Ratner L, Noy A, Sparano JA. Changes in the influence of lymphoma- and HIV-specific factors on outcomes in AIDS-related Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Ann Onc. 2015; 26(5):958-66
Barta SK, Xue X, Wang D, Lee JL, Kaplan LD, Ribera JM, Oriol A, Spina M, Tirelli M, Boue F, Wilson W, Wyen C, Dunleavy K, Sparano JA. ARL-IPI – A New Prognostic Score for AIDS-Related Lymphomas in the Rituximab-Era. Haematologica 2014 Nov; 99(11):1731-7
Barta SK, Xue X, Wang D, Tamrari, R, Mounier N, Lee JL, Kaplan LD, Ribera JM, Oriol A, Spina M, Tirelli M, Weiss R, Galicier L, Boue F, Wilson W, Wyen C, Navarro JT, Dunleavy K, Little R, Ratner L, Garcia O, Morgades M, Oksenhendler E, Remick SC, Sparano JA. Treatment Factors Affecting Outcomes in HIV associated Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas: A Pooled Analysis of 1,546 Patients. Blood. 2013 Nov 7;122(19):3251-62. PubMed.
Barta SK, Zou Y, Schindler J, Shenoy N, Bhagat TD, Steidl U, Verma A. Synergy of Sequential Administration of a Deglycosylated Ricin A Chain-Containing Combined Anti-CD19 and Anti-CD22 Immunotoxin (Combotox) and Cytarabine in a Murine Model of Advanced Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia. Leukemia & Lymphoma 2012 Oct; 53(10):1999-2003 PubMed.
Barta SK, Lee JY, Kaplan LD, Noy A, Sparano JA. Pooled Analysis of Aids-Malignancy Consortium (AMC) Trials Evaluating Rituximab Plus either CHOP or Infusional EPOCH Chemotherapy in HIV-Associated Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma. Cancer. 2012 Aug;118:3977-83 PubMed.