Nausheen Jamal, MD
- Request Appointment
- Clinical Locations
- Education, Training & Credentials
- Research Profile
Fox Chase Cancer Center
333 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19111
Assistant Professor, Center for Voice and Swallowing
Assistant Professor, Department of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery, Lewis Katz School of Medicine, Temple University
Laryngology, Voice and Swallowing Disorders
I am a laryngologist, which means that I specialize in voice and swallowing disorders. We rely on our voice box to communicate with the world around us, but it plays an important role in how well we swallow as well. Difficulties with voice and swallow are important because they drastically impact our quality of life.
I came to Fox Chase because of this institution’s focus on the patient as a human being. In addition to curing a patient’s cancer, we want to address other related aspects of a person’s disease and treatment regimen that can affect one’s quality of life. The way we speak and eat is an important aspect of how well we are able to enjoy our lives and socialize with family and friends. My goal is to help you maintain–or improve–the pleasure of these activities.
Of course, hoarseness and swallowing problems can affect anyone, not just cancer patients. The Voice and Swallow Center here at Fox Chase is made up of myself and a team of outstanding speech and language pathologists. Our purpose is to help you with your voice and swallow problems, whomever you are. Collectively, we will put together a comprehensive treatment plan to address your voice and swallowing issues using the latest medical, surgical and technological advancements.
- Fellowship, Laryngology, Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2013
- Residency, Otorhinolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, Albert Einstein College of Medicine Affiliated Hospitals, Bronx, NY, 2011
- MD, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX, 2006
- American Board of Otolaryngology
- American Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
- Triological Society (post-graduate member)
- American Laryngological Association (post-graduate member)
- American Broncho-Esophagological Association
- Society of University Otolaryngologists-Head and Neck Surgeons
- Pennsylvania Academy of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Honors & Awards
- Graduation Residency Research Presentation Award: “Signal transduction modifications found in normal laryngeal cells of RRP patients,” 2011
- 3rd Place for Podium Presentation: “Signal transduction modifications found in normal laryngeal cells of recurrent respiratory papilloma patients,” 5th Annual NYC Metropolitan Resident Research Day Symposium, 2010
- Graduation Residency Research Presentation Award: “Pediatric Endoscopic Airway Stenting without Fluoroscopy,” Albert Einstein College of Medicine, 2009
- Voice disorders
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Vocal fold paralysis and paresis
- Vocal nodules, polyps, cysts
- Swallowing disorders
- Airway disorders
- Trans-oral laser microsurgery
- Laryngeal reinnervation
Shaigany K, Ahmad SM, Jamal N. Laryngeal hemangioma presenting as a laryngocele. Accepted for publication by ENT Journal. In Press, July 2015.
Jamal N, Erman A, Chhetri DK. Partial epiglottoplasty for pharyngeal dysphagia due to cervical spine pathology. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015;153(4):586-92.
Bergeron JL, Jamal N, Erman A, Chhetri DK. Office-based tracheoesophageal puncture: updates in techniques and outcomes. Am J Otolaryngol. 2014;35(5):549-53.
Jamal N, Ebersole B. Voice considerations in the surgical treatment of early glottic carcinomas: lessons learned from the literature. Otorinolaringologia. 2014;64(3):115-26.
Vorasubin N, Vira D, Jamal N, Chhetri DK. Airway management and endoscopic treatment of subglottic and tracheal stenosis: the laryngeal mask airway technique. Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol. 2014;123(4):293- 298.
Jamal N, Mundi J, Chhetri DK. Higher risk of superficial injection during injection laryngoplasty in women. Am J Otolaryngol. 2014;35(2):159-163.
Chhetri DK, Jamal N. Percutaneous injection laryngoplasty. Laryngoscope. 2014:124(3):742-5.
Jamal N, Erman A, Chhetri DK. Trans-oral partial epiglottidectomy to treat dysphagia in post-treatment head and neck cancer patients. Laryngoscope. 2014:124(3):665-71.
Jamal N, Sofer E, Chhetri DK. Treatment considerations for early glottic carcinoma: lessons learned and a primer for the general otolaryngologist. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2014;150(2):169-73.
Jamal N, Chowdhury F, Gupta R, Sataloff RT. Suraglottoplasty for airway obstruction. Ear Nose Throat J. 2013;92(6):244-6.
Chhetri DK, Neubauer J, Bergeron JL, Sofer E, Peng KA, Jamal N. Effects of superior laryngeal nerve asymmetry on laryngeal posture, acoustics, and vibration. Laryngoscope. 2013;123(12):3110-6.
Jamal N, Ahmed S, Miller T, Bent J, Brook A, Parikh SR, Ankola A. Doxycycline Sclerotherapy for Pediatric Head and Neck Macrocystic Lymphatic Malformations: A Case Series and Review of the Literature. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2012;76(8):1127-31.
Jamal N, Vicencio A, Bent JP. A Neurologic Etiology for Tracheomalacia? Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2009;73(6):885-7.